Friday, September 14, 2012

Pintember: Veggie/Quinoa Burgers


I have really been wanting to try to make veggie burgers for so long! Seeing them all over Pinterest only piqued my interest even more (no pun intended). But none of the ingredient lists quite intrigued me enough to make the recipes on the pins. But 2 different ones inspired me to create my own...



and...



After I made them I asked both Picky One and his friend if they wanted them for lunch. They both said, "Sure." Picky One ate one, but, amazingly...the whole thing not just a taste and then ask, "What else can I have?" His friend Carm actually had 2. Hey if 2 young teen boys liked them they had to be good right? I also gave them to my neighborhood gluten free buddy. She liked them too...But not quite as much as those cheesy quinoa pancakes I made a few days before. My other 2 didn't even try them. I had my lunch and froze the rest with wax paper in between. (I just had a frozen one yesterday and all I had to do was break one off and nuke it. It was just as good as the day I first made them)

Now it's funny...most of the veggie burger recipes out there have very little protein in them. I thought that was the point of a burger?! And well, since I had cooked waaay too much quinoa the other day, I had plenty to use up. Good! I wanted to get some protein into my burgers.

Also I had noticed that the ones that called for sweet potatoes had you peeling them first and then shredding...isn't it much healthier to leave the peel on? Hmm...Who wrote these recipes?

Anyway...Here is what I came up with... (and yes, the picture is blurry again...I'm working on it!)



Mixed Veggie/Quinoa Burgers


1-15 oz can of Garbanzo beans, mashed
1-2 T olive oil 
1-2 T lemon juice
I cup spinach (I used chopped frozen and defrosted, it's what I had on hand)
1 small sweet potato, grated with skin on (1 1/2-2 cups)
1/2 red bell pepper, shredded (probably any color but green would work)
1/4 cup sweet onion, shredded or finely chopped (I used Vidalia)
2 eggs, beaten
2 T gluten free Bisquick (I would think that any type of flour would work)
1 T minced garlic
2 cup cooked quinoa
1/4 t powdered ginger
1 t cumin powder
salt and pepper to taste

Mash beans with olive oil and lemon juice in large mixing bowl to make a paste. Add the rest of the ingredients to bowl. Mix until ingredients are well combined. Refrigerate for 10 minutes. Make 1/3 cup patties. Cook covered over medium heat in olive oil for about 4 minutes on each side, adjusting for the heat of your stove/pan. Be gentle when flipping them. Serve as is or on a bun. Enjoy without the guilt of a real burger but still with a lot of flavor!


No comments:

Post a Comment