Friday, September 18, 2009

Clueless at the gym

Yesterday when I was at the gym, I met two women who had just joined and had no idea as to what to do. The one women was commenting on how they try to get you to buy their services that are so expensive. After talking to them for a little while, I discovered that they really have absolutely no idea what they are supposed to be doing while there. The one women was just lifting (and lifting and lifting). I don't think she was even paying attention to how many reps she was doing. I suggested to her, that she count to 10 rest and count to 10 again, after a few seconds of rest. The other woman had said that she had a goal of 20 lbs, 30 reps on this one machine...only she was starting immediately at 20 and barely able to do only 15 reps. I suggested to her that maybe she should start with 10 lbs and work her way up. I was afraid to give them many tips since I just know a few things that are good for me, and maybe not the next person. I am really glad that I have a built in trainer...my husband who is a physical therapist. When Pete walked me into the gym the first day, he told me which machines I should start with and approximately how much to do. These poor ladies have no one. I have decided that the next time I see either one of them, I am going to suggest to each of them that they should actually shell out the bucks for one session with these trainers, just to get them started in the right direction, if they are going to get anything accomplished without hurting themselves.

I'm actually worried that they are going to end up hurting themselves, and I don't even know them. They are both at least in their 60's (if not older). The funny thing is the one woman told me I looked 18...I'm 42...I know I have always looked young, but it has been a really long time since I heard anyone say it. It always feels good to hear it. I'm just hoping that the time I get to be their age, I'll only look like I'm in my 40's. I know...Fat chance that will happen...

No comments:

Post a Comment