Monday, October 1, 2012

Belated Pintember: Gluten-free Pumpkin Corn Bread

I've been a little delinquent on my Pintember posts lately but this morning I just made my gluten free version of the the pumpkin cornbread I made last week. I had saved the other half of the can for some other recipe, not sure what. I had to make it gluten free and spice improved. The first one was "missing something" as I had heard from both one son and my hubby.

I have decided that I really do not love gluten free breads. I would rather skip it and have a cracker instead. There are plenty of good gluten free crackers around. But when I had tasted the regular version of this recipe, I knew I had a good thing to convert. It was already gritty, thanks to the cornmeal.  What difference would it make if I put gritty gluten free flour in it. NONE!

Here is the new improved and gluten free pumpkin cornbread recipe...

1/2 cup sorgum flour
1/2 cup white rice flour
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1 Tbs baking powder
1 Tbs cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground ginger (I'm not a fan of ginger, but it's great with pumpkin!)
few scrapes of fresh nutmeg (I do not like nutmeg but my MIL introduced me to the fresh stuff and it makes quite a diff!)
1 cup corn meal
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
2 eggs, beaten
1/2- 15oz can of solid pack pumpkin (approx 3/4 cup)
1/4 cup light olive oil
1/4 cup applesauce, sweetened (it needed a little more sweetener and moistener)

Preheat oven to 400. Mix together all of the dry ingredients in a medium mixing bowl until well combined. Mix all of the wet (remaining) ingredients into a small mixing bowl until well combined. Pour wet into dry and mix until just combined. Prep 8 x 8 baking pan with oil spray. Pour and spread batter into pan. it will be thick. Bake for 22-28 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Enjoy with butter or without. I ate mine without!

Brought some over for my gluten free taste tester who lives across the street. She said it was a keeper recipe. 

Yay!

I almost forgot...Here is the inspiration pin...








1 comment:

  1. This is SO good. I will be eating the remaining portion for dinner. Thanks for converting and sharing the goods! And for playing along with Pintember.

    ReplyDelete